Corduroy is the fashion-favorite for fall. But that does not mean you have to keep your corduroy hats in the closet until the next fall— you can wear them any season. In fact, corduroy is one textile that never falls out of the fashion charts. And since you can wear it all year, you would want to keep your hats clean and shiny.
That is the very reason why we have this article. It will tell you everything and anything you would like to know about washing and maintaining your corduroy hat. If that is what brought you here, we will not disappoint you.
But before we get to the main subject, let us get first things out of our way.
Corduroy: what is it?
It is a soft, durable, and tough material that has become a mainstay favorite in the fashion industry lately. It makes a variety of garments including clothing and hats. The good news about owning corduroy hats is that you can do all the washing at home.
How to wash corduroy hats
As it custom with washing any clothing, you should start by looking at the washing instructions on the hat’s label. It is there where you can find the manufacturer’s guidelines on how to wash your hats the best way. One of the things that the label will tell is whether to use machine wash or hand wash.
If yours is an old corduroy hat, check if it has a cardboard visor. It is only the new crop of hats that have a plastic visor.
Here are the general steps you should follow when washing your corduroy hats:
- Have the color at the back of your mind when you are deciding on temperature settings. For dark corduroy, use cold water and set a mild washing cycle. If your hat has a pastel color, it is fine if you use warm water. However, stick to what the hat label says. Moreover, remember to wash dark colors separate from the bright ones.
- It is advisable to tumble dry your hats on very low heat then hang them to dry in the open air. If you like, you can air-dry them first before tumble drying them for 10 or so minutes. Always remember to keep the heat at a minimal level. Using the second approach leaves your hat smooth and gentle on your skin. The reason why you should keep your corduroy hat from excessive heat is that the material tends to shrink at the brim.
- If you are using a dryer, make sure you shake off the hat before you hang it to dry.
One more thing, corduroy has a tendency to easily pick up lint. If your hat ends up getting lint, use the appropriate brush to get rid of it before you begin the washing.
Tips for corduroy hat maintenance
Thanks to its smooth nature, corduroy is an easy pick for spots, wrinkles and shrinking. Therefore, you have to be careful about how you handle your hat. Here are a few tips that will make sure your corduroy hats stay in shape and clean all the time;
- Do not expose your hats to high temperatures
- Keep your hats in their own space or box. Use a vinyl cover to prevent dust, odor, and stains from getting to your beautiful headwear.
- Shield your hats from unnecessary moisture
If you love hats, chances are you have a few pieces of corduroy in your closet. While wearing them makes your fall comfortable, they will gather dirt with time. That is why we made it our duty to tell you how to wash and take care of your corduroy hats. There is nothing to stop you from wearing your hats clean every season.