Hats are versatile accessories that you can wear all year round. They are useful in shielding you from the scorching sun or the freezing weather. You can also wear them to complement your style. Most hats are wearable in any season. Due to constant wear, they collect a lot of dirt from skin sweat, hair oils, dust in the air, and contact with the body and hands. You, therefore, need to clean them occasionally. If you are looking for ways to clean your hats correctly, you are in the right place.
Before we get onto the procedures, you already know that hats are made of different materials. Likewise, their washing procedures cannot be the same. The specialized method for each hat ensures the hat remains in perfect shape and condition after you clean it. In this article, we give you a descriptive guide on how to clean your hat. Get a comfortable seat, and put a cold drink by your side because we will make this reading a thrilling one for hat lovers.
Cleaning Baseball Hats
Before you clean your baseball cap, you need to check the instruction on the label. This way, you will figure out if its machine washable or not. Failure to keep this factor in consideration may mess up your hat.
Follow the procedure below for baseball hats that are not machine washable:
- Half-fill a bucket or sink with warm water. Add laundry detergent to the water.
- Soak the hat in the solution for 3-5 minutes.
- Use a soft towel or a brush with soft bristles to scrub spotted and greasy areas. Pay keen attention to the spots on the brim. Keep a close focus on the band of the hat that holds on to the head. This area collects a lot of grease from oil hair and sweat. Be sure to scrub the interior surface of the crown gently.
- Rinse the hat in enough cold water.
- Use a clean, dry towel to suck excess water from the hat.
- Leave to dry slowly
If your baseball cap is machine washable, follow the procedure below
- Place your cap into your washing machine. Place it alone, or with a small load of laundry. Overloading the device may make the hat lose its shape.
- Use a mild washing machine detergent.
- Go for warm water on a gentle cycle.
- If your cap is heavily soiled, use potent stain removers.
- Allow it to dry
Alternatively, you can use your dishwasher to clean your hats. Here is how you do it like a pro:
- Soak your hat with dishes that are not heavily soiled. Heavily soiled dishes may further stain your hat.
- Add detergent to the dishwasher dispenser.
- Place your caps on the top rack.
- Run the dishwasher on a low-heat or normal cycle.
- Allow your hat to air dry.
This method cleans your hats well, but the chances of your hat losing its shape are high.
Tip: When it comes to drying baseball hats, you have to be more careful. They tend to lose their shape or wrinkle up. You can dry it over a spherical bowl or a mannequin head. The spherical shape ensures the cap remains in form as it dries up.
Our best method would be to hand-wash your baseball caps. The technique is useful in the retention of the hat’s shape and color.
Cardboard brim hats should not be soaked in water. To know whether your hat has a cardboard brim, gently knock on the rim. If it is made of cardboard, it will produce a hollow sound. Spot clean the caps because the water will destroy the cardboard brim.
Cleaning a Beanie
You ought to be very careful with the cleaning of your beanie. Beanies are made from a range of synthetic and natural materials. To be on the safe side, check the beanie’s label to figure out what stuff it is made of before you commit a cleaning ‘sin’. If there is no label, and you cannot seem to figure out what material it is, take the safer way. The more reliable way with beanies is to wash it manually, with your hands.
Beanies lose their shape and elasticity very quickly. That is the last thing you want to happen. We highly recommend that you wash your beanies by hand to retain its shape and elasticity.
- Half-fill your bucket or sink with cold water. Add a tablespoon of mild detergent.
- Swirl and knead your beanie until you are satisfied that it is clean. Drain the now dirty soapy water.
- Rinse the beanie under running water until the water is clear. You can periodically wring the beanie unless it is woolen. Press woolen beanies against the sink to drain excess water.
- Pat a clean, dry towel to clear water in the woolen beanies. It is alright to wring your cotton beanie gently.
- Air-dry your beanie. Never use the drier; it is a sure way to shrink the beanie. Dry it on a flat surface. Hanging may overstretch it. Use your fingers to pull the beanie back in shape while it is still wet.
Tip: If you have specific areas with stubborn stains, use spray detergent on them. Let the stains soak for some time. Gently rub on the stain to clear the blemishes.
How to Clean a Straw Hat
Straw hats are a stylish way to hit the streets on sunny summer days. They accumulate dirt quickly due to the increased sweating during the hot days. Oily hair also stains straw hats. They may also get smelly if you do not clean them as required.
Cleaning a straw hat can be a little tricky because you cannot submerge them in water. Besides, excess water can destroy the straws. You, therefore, need to clean the straw hat with little water. Ensure your straw hats never get rained on. In case you are rained on wearing it, pat your hat dry with a clean towel to drain excess water.
How to Wash Woolen and Felt Hats
There is a variety of stylish woolen hats that should find their way to your daily style. Woolen hats include berets, fedoras, woolen beanies, and baker boy hats. If you clean woolen caps wrongly, you largely reduce its life span. To wash them correctly, you need a felt hat brush.
Follow the procedure below to clean your woolen hat;
- Do not wet the hat. Neither should you submerge it in water.
- Brush the woolen surface with a felt brush. Keep the motions circular. This clears off the dust and debris that hiding in the woolen fabric.
- Leave it to dry
Tip: If your woolen hat has a lot of stubborn stains, we recommend professional cleaning. Wool is delicate, and the best bet is just letting a professional cleaner handle it for you. Remember to use steam in reshaping deformed woolen hats.
How to Clean Leather Hats
Leather hats have always been a stylish and classy accessory that can take your fashion sense to another level. No, let’s rephrase that. Fire up your style sounds more befitting, don’t you think? Cleaning leather has always been a challenge for a lot of people. They are quite expensive and lavish. You do not want to spoil something you spent so much money to acquire. If you master the skill of cleaning your leather hat, you will forever manage to maintain the strong and durable caps in good shape. You need the right products to keep your clean your leather hats.
Follow the cleaning procedure below and do not miss a step!
- Occasionally treat your leather hats with mink oil.
- Never use saddle soap on your leather, lest you dry up the leather.
- Condition the leather and place it on a counter away from direct sunlight.
- The band that holds the cap onto the head should be cleaned according to its material. Pay keen attention to the band because it collects dirt quickly.
ALSO CHECK OUT:
Rocking a hat and looking stylish is one thing, but cleaning the cap and maintaining it is another story. A lot of people fail miserably when it comes to cleaning hats. One thing you should always keep in mind is that hats come in different materials, styles, and designs. There is, therefore, no universal way to clean your hat. The correct way to clean your beloved hat is to follow the proper procedures specific to its nature.
As you wash them, remember hats are very delicate. If you are not careful with what you are doing, you may end up losing its original shape and color. Follow the right process for each cap and materials. Use the right products and equipment, and consult a professional if you need to. Never risk trying out a procedure you are not sure of, especially if you value the cap, or you invested heavily in it. Proper cleaning and maintenance will have you rocking your hat longer than you ever imagined. Always wear your hat with style and clean it like a pro.